Monday 2 January 2017

New Year, Same Me.



So here we are again…January and the start of a whole new year…2017. As cliché as it is to say, where has the past year gone!? It doesn’t feel like two minutes since I was downing the G&Ts last New Year’s Eve and trying to pull myself through the most hideous hangover the following day. Along with the over consumption of alcohol, another popular concept that many of us find ourselves participating in, is setting ourselves New Year’s resolutions that we aspire to aim for and succeed in throughout the year ahead.
Despite failing to complete any new year’s resolutions I had set myself for previous years, last year was different and I remember feeling determined to succeed. I was so motivated that there was no way shape or form that I was going to give this one up by February. I stocked my cupboards up with fruit and veg, threw away any leftover chocolate I had since Christmas and joined the gym…. in 2016 my New Year’s resolution was to lose weight and have that insane figure that I’ve always only dreamt of having.

How many of us can openly admit that maybe not this year, but in previous years, have set ourselves goals that involve some sort of physical change in regards to how we look?

“This year I want to be skinny.”
“This year I want to stop eating so much rubbish and cut out chocolate.”
“This year I am joining the gym and getting those abs.”

“The diet starts in January.”

It’s funny really when you think about it…how we preach to the younger generation and feel like we have to continuously reassure, not only others but ourselves, all of the time that ‘it’s what is in the inside that counts’ yet we are so fixated in changing the physical things to make us feel more worthy about ourselves. I believe that the question we must ask ourselves when making these types of New Year’s resolutions is WHY we want to achieve these goals. If going to the gym and eating clean allows YOU to FEEL good and makes you genuinely happy then go ahead, exercise and maybe start watching what you eat a little bit more. If going to the gym and eating clean is your way of finding self love and self acceptance then I can reassure you here, weight loss will never be enough. The reality is, very few of us are going to look like Kendall Jenner or have the figures of those Victoria Secret models who are plastered on the front of every magazine and feature continuously on our Instagram feeds. But does that mean we’re unattractive, undesirable or unworthy of being liked? Absolutely not! Just because those models have slim figures, does it mean that they are happy and at ease with their own appearances? Absolutely not! Being skinny and losing weight alone does not have a correlation with happiness.

Why not instead, this year, be different when setting those resolutions. Why not focus the whole entire year on loving yourself and accepting yourself for the exact person you already are.

After everything 2016 has taught me, I am heading into this new and exciting year with a very different mindset. So here is to 2017…here is to not obsessing over our appearances and how we look. Here is to not ‘losing weight’ and cutting out food that brings us joy (because anyone who says that double chocolate muffins and stuffed crust Dominos pizzas don’t make them happy are LIARS). Instead, let 2017 be a year where we simply allow ourselves to do things that not only are good for us, but make us feel good too. To fill the year to the brim of things that make us happy. Surround ourselves by the most sparkliest of people who really bring out the best in us. Let 2017 be a year where we’re kinder to ourselves. Let 2017 be the year of dreams, goals, new opportunities and big adventures. This year I hope you believe in yourselves and all that you are already capable of achieving.


Unlike last year, I didn’t spend my New Years Eve drunk in a dingy night club. I had a quiet one and spent it slightly tipsy (I mean come on, it’s New Year, I had to have a few gins) with a bunch of new friends. It was honestly my best New Years Eve night to date. Below is a few snaps of me and my main side kick taken over the weekend…2017 is also the year where we should all continue to feel grateful for our struggles. I’ve found that not only do they allow you to stumble across your strength but on many occasions, introduce you to the most amazing people too!

Happy new year everyone! ♥


QuickEdit
Beth Lauren Lee
4 Comments

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your blog Beth everything you said is so true and inspirational, you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Helen. It honestly means so much to me! Sending lots of love...and happy new year! x

      Delete
  2. Wowww! Watching you grow, as a person and in strength, on a daily basis makes me so proud and happy. Go you for finding something you are passionate about, your beautiful soul shines through in your writing and you should be so proud. Your writing is not only going to inspire so many, but will ultimately inspire yourself. So much love, always x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Not just for that lovely message, but for being YOU. Because without you, I wouldn't be on the road to a happier and healthier me! YOU are amazing x

      Delete